This post-depression ear chocolate cake will actually make your day! It is so rich, moist, and very chocolatey! Easy to prepare and it requires just a few simple ingredients. The cake is adapted from the popular depression era cake and trust me – it is not depressive at all! Try it!
For the cake:
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ¼ cup brown sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons orange juice
- ¾ cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
For the frosting:
- 250 ml heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 teaspoons icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/ 180°C/Gas Mark 4. Grease 8 x 8-inch square pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, brown sugar, cocoa powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix vanilla, oil, vinegar, water, and orange juice. Apply wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until well incorporated and no any lumps remain.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add all the ingredients for the frosting. Using an electric mixer beat until smooth, creamy, and semi-thick. Spread on top of cooled cake.
Enjoy and think positive!